Friday, March 25, 2016

The Cost of Vintage

As someone who absolutely loves vintage and vintage reproduction clothing, I've come to realize that my interest has a high price. I have so many reasons why I dress the way that I do, but none of them have to do with logic. There is so much variety within my closet. Probably the most I've spent on a single item in my closet is around $150 for a vintage reproduction skirt. I wear it all the time, and I truly think it's a worthy investment.


Skirt by Pinup Couture.

 However, even though I love this particular skirt, the exorbitant cost causes a loss in my bank account and therefore an  opportunity cost. Instead of being able to buy several modern skirts and/or items, there is a loss because of the fact that you are only getting a single item for $150. Most people would believe that this is completely and totally out of the question. I guess it does depend on how often the individual wears the item. For example, it would actually not be an opportunity cost if I wore this skirt every day. As I'm writing this, I'm feeling worse about purchasing it...but it's beautiful!

Another huge cost of vintage/vintage re-pros is it's really hard to find cute vintage items, in my size, in good condition, for a good price. Now, most people who know me/see me know that I am tiny. But if we're being honest--women and men were differently built back then. Most items I find are about the size of an XXS. & if I do find an item in my size, they're not always the cutest things in the world. This is mostly an issue of scarcity. Think of it this way. It goes back all the way back to the decade when the clothes were made and sold. If the women back then did/did not save clothing, then that's already a certain amount of clothes excluded from the market. So in a way, I really can;t blame any of the vintage sellers for selling items at the excessive prices that they do. Because believe it or not, vintage is coming back, style wise and therefore a good, cute, quality, vintage piece that's out on the market is going to sell insanely quick. 

No comments:

Post a Comment