Wednesday, April 13, 2016

WWIII: Chopsticks vs. Silverware

So, last week I had the opportunity to have a very lively discussion with one of my classmates on something that has officially demoted him from favorite childhood friend to persona non grata.

One of the most difficult things to explain to someone who knows only American culture, which is really just a hodge podge of hundreds of other cultures, is why I keep up with my nationality's culture. Now, this isn't going to be a blogpost bashing American values, considering I was born and raised in the United States so I am in every way an American as every other native citizen. However, I am a first-generation American, because my parents emigrated from Viet Nam after the war, so the Vietnamese culture is live and well in our household. Considering this, the way I carry out my life at home is significantly different from many of my friends who have a few generations worth of relatives that were born and carried their lives out in the United States.

The age old question, which is superior? (spoiler: the answer is neither)

The question at hand was, "Why do Asians use chopsticks?" At first, the question had taken me aback, because the answer seemed obvious to me since I've used chopsticks my entire life. I'll just paraphrase the main points of his argument against the use of chopsticks for you so you can get the gist of what fueled the fire to the flames:

1. At what point did people think that using two small sticks of wood to pick up rice was a good idea?
2. You could pick up so much more rice or other foods with a fork than you can with rice.
3. Didn't they ever learn to embrace technology when spoons and forks were invented?
4. People used to drive carriages, but then cars were invented, so why are you guys so afraid of technology?
5. LEARN TO EMBRACE TECHNOLOGY.
6. Literally everything you eat with chopsticks can be used with a fork or spoon.

Same, Waka Flocka Flame. Same.

K. Okay. Alright. Sure. That's fine. Apparently I'm like Amish or something and hate technology. Cool.

So if I wanted to, I could give you the background on the use and invention of chopsticks to help you understand why they were ever invented in the first place, but I don't think that's absolutely necessary? See the problem is not why chopsticks are being used when there are supposed, better substitutes. I mean, why are chopsticks still being bought and used all over the world when there are fork and spoon substitutes? Well that's because many, many people still demand them, so there's no issue with substitutes. No that's what it just seems like it is. The real problem at hand is trying to explain the importance of culture to a person who lacks any of said culture.

At firsthand, the argument doesn't seem to have to do with culture; it's about efficiency in eating. However, the only reason are chopsticks are used is because it is the most ideal utensil for a number of foods. What types of foods? Well, ASIAN foods. Now, we've got a problem with culture.

Something about some Americans is that they don't really seem to understand that there are certain intrinsic values to keeping up with customs of a person's home country. Dinner at my home is so different than dinner at many of my friends' homes. You don't just eat dinner when it is convenient for you, or skip dinner at the dinner table and just take it up to your room. When dinner is ready, everyone goes to the kitchen table and eats together as a family. Another thing, Vietnamese food is also significantly different from American food. While in a lot of American dinners or dishes, each person has their own plate with their assorted meal, many Vietnamese dishes are cooked together in one big pan or pot and served together in a huge bowl or plate of some sort. Lots of Vietnamese food are starting off with a bowl of rice and picking up your own portions from the main dish, eating at your own pace. Therefore, this is where chopsticks become incredibly applicable. One of my favorite Vietnamese dishes is tht kho, braised pork with whole eggs. The dish is eaten with rice, and the pork and eggs are sitting in a sauce. 

You eat this with a bowl of rice and you don't question why it's made the way it is. Simple.
Now, while some of you are saying, oh hey you can just use a fork to eat this, I don't see the problem. No, no you can't. The braised pork is cooked around the bone, so these are small pieces of saucy meat that cannot be stabbed through. You wouldn't really eat this dish with a spoon either because you have to remove your portions of pork from the family bowl, so ew. So what's the answer here?? OMG it's chopsticks! Now, when I brought up this food to my friend, my other "friends" decided to join in the argument against me so yea sure whatever that's fine too. Collusion at its finest. Except unlike the Great Monopoly Collusion of 2016, (see article here for some tragic history) this partnership isn't gonna destroy the opponent. Anyways, my friend questioned me because, (use a really stupid boy voice here) " uhhh, why don't you just take the bone off the meat? Why would you just keep the bone on that makes things difficult."


Aaaaand this is where the culture part plays in. How am I supposed to just explain to a person, "Because that is just how the dish is made????? I don't understand your confusion????? What????" No child, you don't question how a food is made the way it is, because it is made the way it is. Moving on.

Okay, let's just clear some things up. Chopsticks were made accustomed to Asian dishes, not American ones! You wouldn't eat fries with chopsticks, but you'd definitely eat sushi with them. I't's hard to understand eating rice with chopsticks, because you don't eat rice. It's even harder to eat rice with chopsticks when your definition of rice is fluffy, dry long-grain rice. Most if not all Asians eat a stickier, gummy short-grain rice. Eating this rice with a fork or spoon would really get annoying and problematic when the rice sticks literally everywhere. In this case, it is obvious that you should use chopsticks. Of course, there are many people in East Asia who do use forks and spoons when they eat, and that's fine! However, you cannot deny the fact that with many dishes, and at a number of settings, chopsticks are preferable. Manner-wise, and efficiency-wise, there are no proper substitutes for chopsticks. 

Anyways, I've yet to get a real convincing argument against chopsticks. So, which side will you fight for, chopsticks or silverware?

No comments:

Post a Comment