Thursday, January 14, 2016

Math Is The Worst (But Econ. Is Okay, I Guess)

         Math Is The Worst (But Econ. Is Okay, I Guess)


In this semester of economics, I hope to learn to stop being afraid of economics. Economics has never been something I thought I would find interesting. Economics involves money, and money involves math, and math is the worst. However, from what I've seen so far, economics doesn't really have that much math in it. I hope that economics this year will continue to give me a better understanding of what economics really is and just how many things it relates to. Economics isn't all Wolf of Wall Street, a lot of it is actually relevant to my everyday experiences in ways I wasn't really aware of. I hope to better my understanding of how economics impacts my decisions and the decisions of people around me.
Topics I'm interested in for economics include movies (like Wolf of Wall Street, because who doesn't love Leonardo DiCaprio?) and theatre because those are the things I'm passionate about in life. With economics I can learn about things like how inflation has raised the price of movie theatre popcorn to the equivalent of your average mortgage payment, and how things like opportunity cost lead to people majoring in things like engineering over things like theatre or English, because apparently the idea of not living in a cardboard box on the street is enough of an incentive for the average student. As for current events, I have a love-hate relationship with politics, and a hate-hate relationship with the government, so those are things that could be interesting to see through the lens of economics. At the very least, I'll be able to back up my rants about The Man with economics terms, which might sway others's reactions to more "Wow, she has some really interesting points" and less "Please stop, we weren't even talking about the government, why are you doing this right now." 
Anyway, I'd like to leave this class understanding at least the basics of economics, and maybe what the phrase "fiscal cliff" actually means, because people like to say it a lot and I just kind of nod because I'm not sure what a fiscal cliff is or why it's good or bad or whether or not to genuinely or sarcastically follow it with "Thanks Obama." I would also like to leave the class with an understanding of how Blogger works, because honestly I have no idea whether I'm posting this in the right place at the right time, or really if it's posting at all. If this is not posted, I'm sorry Mr. Kern, please don't fail me. 
And, if nothing else, economics has already taught me a very important lesson: the answer is always "scarcity." Unless of course you're Theresa -- in that case, the answer is always Heelies. And I have a feeling that will get me really far in life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment